In No-Waste Composting, you'll discover the hows and whys of composting and find over a dozen practical step-by-step plans for building both indoor and outdoor composting systems that require a minimal amount of space. "I don't have enough space to compost." "I don't know what's safe to compost and what isn't." "I live in the city, so I don't think I can compost." "Indoor composting systems are smelly." "I don't have a garden, so I don't need to compost." If any of these is your excuse for not composting, then this is the book for you!
Small-space composting has never been easier, more efficient, and more eco-friendly. Composting keeps millions of tons of waste out of landfills and creates carbon-sequestering, nutrient-dense compost that can be used to help fuel plant growth (including houseplants!) and build soil health.
- Build a DIY worm-composting system for a cupboard or garage
- Craft a layered, under-the-sink composting system from terracotta pots
- Construct a simple outdoor compost bin from repurposed wooden pallets
- Use up-cycled wire fencing to build a mobile composting system on the driveway
- Learn how to compost larger sticks and branches to build new food and flower gardens
- Up-cycle a plastic bucket to make an indoor compost fermenting system
This book is part of the Cool Springs Press No-Waste Gardening series, which also includes No-Waste Kitchen Gardening and No-Waste Organic Gardening.
About the Author
Michelle Balz is a long-time backyard composter with a passion for reducing our impact on the planet and the author of Composting for a New Generation. She spends her days writing laid-back advice for home composters in the Confessions of a Composter blog, teaching classes on backyard composting, and learning everything she can about composting, recycling, reusing, and waste reduction. Since 2002, Michelle has worked as a solid waste (a.k.a. garbage) professional encouraging residents and businesses to reduce their waste and use fewer resources. Michelle has a bachelor's degree in Environmental Studies and a master's degree in Professional Writing, both from the University of Cincinnati. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.